The Bermuda High School for Girls Mission
The Bermuda High School for Girls educates young women to the highest international standards and fosters confident, resilient and responsible global citizens.
IB at BHS Mission
The IB programme at BHS educates students to the highest international standards, provides excellent preparation for tertiary education and fosters confident, resilient and responsible global citizens.
This programme responds to the economic, social and educational challenges currently facing Bermuda by making a BHS education accessible to those students with the potential, ability and willingness to succeed, but whose families do not have the means to afford a private education. Also, to increase financial aid available for current BHS families, in order to assist those who are now faced with removing their child from the school due to financial hardship.
Strategies / Programmes to Achieve Goal
1. Continue fundraising for the bursary program through the Annual Appeal, direct appeals to donors (both corporate and individual), fundraising dinners and other events.
2. Started the Inclusion Committee (2010) as a joint Board/ Staff committee to establish the foundation for the school’s commitment to fostering a culture that is inclusive, supportive and welcoming to those in the community that meet the requirements for admission to the school.
A Director of Admissions and Inclusion, Mrs Kurte Loescher, was hired and began at BHS in April, 2014. As part of her remit, Mrs Loescher works with new families at BHS to ensure they settle in to the new environment, particularly those students who transfer from the Public School System.
3. Continue to award scholarships with a combined merit and need component to worthy students. These are financed by scholarships programmes already in place.
1. Allow students to remain at BHS, by financially contributing to their tuition balance for the remainder of their time at BHS
2. Enrich the education of all at BHS by ensuring a diverse student body, through the recruitment of additional students to BHS
3. Keep enrollment at a level conducive to maintaining the current level of excellence, of teaching, curriculum and learning, at BHS
BHS launched a major effort on March 20, 2017, to provide the curricular, extra-curricular, and facilities enhancements to make this vision a reality. Leading the Way: The BHS Campaign for Innovation is a historic effort to provide the resources necessary to propel the BHS education to the next level. Through this momentous project, we seek to create two core facilities:
This will be a new purpose-built facility for Science, Math and Technology. It will include five science labs (including robotics), an innovation and creation space (fab lab), a digital library and resource centre, an Entrepreneur Centre, a Leadership Centre for Girls and more.
Space in the Butterfield Centre will be repurposed to centralise the Visual, Music and Dramatic Arts. It will include large Visual Art studios, incorporating sculpture and digital arts, classroom and studio space for Drama (including a Black Box Theatre), and classrooms and practice rooms for Music.